The Two Chickadees Project
Let's Create Something Driftless
The Two Chickadees Project is a one-week, paid musicians' retreat in the Driftless area awarded
annually. If chosen, you'll be given a small stipend and a funded retreat to create your art in the Driftless.
We will aim to re-open applications next fall.
Stay tuned for more.
More about the project:
The dream is to support the creation of art in the Driftless Region while also giving back to community. Starting in the fall of 2022, we will be accepting applications (via email to David.firstname.lastname@example.org) for the inaugural Two Chickadees Project. Musicians residing in the Upper Midwest or Driftless Region are welcome to apply (via email) stating
how they would use a one-week, winter retreat towards their artistic goals. The week-long retreat would culminate with one house concert for up to 40 people at the Bluff View Concert venue and a second location in the works. The funds from tickets and donations will be given to the artist by the Two Chickadees Project.
When: The retreat will be winter 2024
Where: You'll be staying in a 150-year-old cabin at Norskedalen Nature Center - see the cabin by clicking HERE
Performances: One performance at the tail end of the retreat. Anticipate good healthy ticket sales and you are free to sell Merchandise as well
How to Apply:
Letters will be accepted during the months of November through December 12th for a winter retreat in 2024. Applicants should describe via email (sent to: email@example.com) their vision for utilizing the artist retreat and include links to their existing works. If they have an artist (or two or three) they hope to collaborate during the time, please include the rationale and that artist's information. The retreat will be awarded within one week of closer of the submission deadline. Applications are reviewed by a panel of judges.
Rules - this applies to the current winners and will be updated again next fall.
1. The exact week of the Airbnb will be determined by the TCP. The costs of lodging would be covered by the TCP. Currently, the dates will be the week of Monday, February 27 through Sunday, March 5th of 2023. The cost of transportation is the responsibility of the artist. The artist(s) will receive $400 to use for food and travel costs as they choose in addition to any funds raised in ticket/donation costs at the performances.
2. Code of Conduct: All Rules established by the host home (Airbnb Property) must be followed by the artists. The Artist will be responsible for any damages or repairs during their stay as described in the property agreement - The Two Chickadees Staff will be responsible for any damages that occur during the evening of the performance - basically, be kind and respectful of the property and its owners.
3. If the artist chosen wishes to invite another musician or creator, they can do so. All rules and responsibilities will still apply to the artists including liability for any damage to property of the Airbnb. No additional stipend will be provided for other artists. The $400 for food and lodging can be split up at the artist's discretion.
4. The Two Chickadees Project reserves the right to revoke the agreement with the artist at any time.
5. Photos and video may be recorded and used at the discretion of the Two Chickadees Project. We want to share your creative work and hope you do too!
6. A change in the location of the Saturday performance may occur based on the wishes of the Airbnb host or the Two Chickadees Project.
7. All artists will be required to electronically accept the rules and responsibilities of the project and host house.
8. Inviting guests to the Saturday performance will be coordinated by the Two Chickadees Project.
9. Ticket sales for the weekend performance(s) will be given to the artist.
10. We encourage the artist to market the experience to their benefit, bring merchandise to sell at the show, and get creative to maximize the experience.
11. There is no restrictive performance covenant.
12. While this is primarily thought of as a music-based residency, we are open to performance and artistic creation of any kind (writing, visual arts, etc).
Mike Munson 3/2023
Nikki Grossman 5/2023
** The Two Chickadees Project is sponsored by and operates under the non-profit Great River Festival of the Arts in La Crosse, Wisconsin and Bluff View House Concerts. We also welcome our sponsor Larson's General!
Purpose: To provide creative retreat for artists
Mission: Our mission is to support the creation of arts in the Driftless Region by providing a one-week retreat culminating in an intimate performance for community members.
Vision: Our aim is to create a long-term artist retreat in the La Crosse region.